Thursday, July 8, 2010

Atheists


What is it with atheists (deliberately not capitalized). I don't care if you don't care. I don't lose sleep because you don't look at the Universe and see God working. It's your choice - period. You can stand before God at your judgment and have him say, "I don't believe in you, either."

In my years of ministry I've welcomed dozens of people into the faith. These are people who have chosen to join the Church and be baptized. In those years I've never knocked on doors, sent e-mail messages to strangers, or called people on the phone to endeavor to enlighten their puny little minds. But this is exactly what atheists do.

Today's atheists feel not just compelled, but obligated, to attempt to show Christians (Jews and Muslims fall here, too) the error of our ways through the employment of loud voices and name calling. The best form of the old atheism displayed great depth of thought. You could talk to an atheist. The worst form of the old atheism (those like Madeline Murray O'Hare) was marred by intolerance and a lack of table manners.

What I'm calling “today's atheism” is really nothing more than the triumph of the jerks. Unsubtle, unlearned (but pretentious), unreflective (but persistent). The shrill tones of today's atheism have been amplified because we live in a society that believes:
Loud wins.
Stupid and loud is even better.
Outrageously stupid and loud is best.

Again today I'm called a charlatan and a thief (anonymously as always) for leading people astray from the athiestic viewpoint. "Charlatan" would indicate that I don't believe what I preach. Let me firmly state that I truly do believe and teach what I believe. As for the title "thief" let's just leave it at this... I must be the worst thief in the history of mankind: My family lives off of the table scraps of society so that we can witness to God - who promised not earthly rewards but rather treasure in heaven.

In my best curmudgeon manner, let me answer the kind soul who felt it necessary to call me names via anonymous e-mail (whose link didn't work to respond personally), I will proudly stand before the Lord our God and point to those I've brought with me. You can stand before Satan and proudly boast of those you won for him.

ACC

No comments:

Post a Comment