
Today a few of the members of my high school graduating class (the class of 19**) are meeting to share stories, drink, play golf and "reminisce" about the good times they had back at old ******* High. It's one of those huge milestone reunion years and I must admit having had a small tug at my heart about going. But that tug was a short-lived one.
I began thinking about who I am today as compared to who I was ** years ago and I realized that I've always been the same person. My values and standards are not today those of the world, nor were they then. I wasn't Mr. Popularity in High School and frankly the only people who attend reunions are those who were.
There are a few people who I would like to see at least once again in this life: That red-headed girl who I fell head-over-heels for my senior year; my friend **** who always seemed to know what I was thinking and whose mother made incredible stuffed peppers. But I know the whereabouts of most the people I cared about in high school and how their lives are - that's what's important.
So, I'm letting others worry about their hair plugs and boob jobs, dentures and liposuction. Today others are practicing the stories they're going to tell and hoping that their dirty little secrets aren't known to anyone else who's attending the reunion. And I'm going to say a funeral this morning, witness a wedding this afternoon and go to dinner with a friend tonight and do something that most of those attending the High School Reunion won't: Feel comfortable in my own skin.
God Bless them all.
ACC
No comments:
Post a Comment