
If you are going to be a regular at the local church asking for money, perhaps it would be helpful to carry a notebook where you could record information regarding your visit. For instance: person contacted, date, idiotic story given, result of effort.
This morning I came in to find one of our regulars giving grief to a volunteer in the foyer. "What can I do for you?" I ask, trying to appear larger than 5'6".
"I'm on my way out west and I need money for food and gasoline."
"Uh... two weeks ago you were here asking for money for a motel because you were getting chemo at the hospital and had to stay in town..."
"What? No, I ain't never been here before."
Look, the guy's 6'15" tall and 400 pounds. His left eye is always looking over your right shoulder as you talk to him no matter where his right eye is looking. I'm thinking he doesn't have a doppelganger, hence my thought of panhandlers keeping a log.
Instead of money I think I'll give the next panhandler a notebook.
ACC
No comments:
Post a Comment